Additional Urban Design & Planning
Marquette Park Lakefront East, Gary, Indiana
Marquette Park, situated along the South Shore of Lake Michigan, is one of Northwest Indiana’s most admired yet underutilized lakefront parks. Upon completion of the Master Planning Phase, BauerLatoza Studio is providing architectural services for the Phase 2 implementation as well: restoring and renovating the Recreation Pavilion, the Gary Bathing Pavilion (Aquatorium), the Father Marquette Statue, and designing ancillary park structures.
- Client: City of Gary
- Project Address: Located in Gary, Indiana on the southern edge of Lake Michigan at the termination of the Calumet River
- Project Size: 240 acres (Pavilion: 18,050 square feet/Aquatorium: 19,570 square feet)
- Construction Cost: $28 million (Phase I and Phase II)
- Services Provided: Master Plan, Architectural Assessments, Programming, Historic Restoration, Architectural Design Documents, Construction Documents, Construction Administration
- Awards: 2010 President’s Award from the Illinois Chapter of American Society of Landscape Architects (ILASLA)
Edward R. Ladd Arboretum Master Plan, Evanston, Illinois
BauerLatoza Studio developed a master plan to provide overall planning for future development for the Ladd Arboretum. Through community input and site analysis, BauerLatoza Studio envisioned a coherent design vocabulary for the arboretum to increase biodiversity; incorporating unified site furnishings, a consistent planting plan, enhanced entrance nodes, and an updated circulation system.
- Client: City of Evanston
- Project Address: 2024 McCormick Boulevard, Evanston, Illinois
- Project Size: 23 acres
- Services Provided: Master Planning, Site Planning, Project Management, Landscape Architectural Services
Burnham Park Framework Plan, Chicago, Illinois
BauerLatoza Studio led a team of consultants through site research and analysis, coordinating with local governmental and environmental groups, to prepare the Framework Plan and Guidelines for Burnham Park. We developed a master plan for future architectural and landscape planning and development, as a long-term resource for park improvements.
- Client: Chicago Park District
- Project Address: The four-mile expanse of Chicago’s lakefront that borders the Museum campus to the north, and Promontory Point (55th Street) to the south.
- Project Size: Four-mile expanse of Chicago’s lakefront
- Construction Cost: $200,000 (fee)
- Services Provided: Architecture, Landscape Planning and Development
- Awards: 2000 Honor Award, Illinois Chapter of American Society of Landscape Architects (ILASLA)
Garfield Park Framework Plan and Community Gardens, Chicago, Illinois
Garfield Park was elaborately designed for the growing city population of 1871 by prominent Chicago architects. Prior to the framework plan, the historic park was underutilized, bisected by numerous roads, and in need of updated programming. BauerLatoza Studio led a team of eleven consultants in a two-part revitalization project, incorporating new community gardens with a long-term master plan.
- Client: Chicago Park District
- Project Address: 100 N. Central Park Avenue, Chicago, Illinois
- Project Size: 26 acres
- Construction Cost: $1.5 million (Phase I)
- Services Provided: Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture Design, Construction Documents, Construction Administration
- Awards: 2002 Merit Award, Illinois Chapter of American Society of Landscape Architects (ILASLA)
City of Gary Comprehensive Plan, Gary, Indiana
The year-long comprehensive plan for the City of Gary identified both long- and short-range cohesive goals focused on six sub-areas. BauerLatoza Studio, along with a team of consultants, facilitated the process addressing land use, streetscapes, historic resources, environmental factors, infrastructure, and economic development opportunities.
- Client: City of Gary/East Chicago/Hammond Empowerment Zone
- Project Address: City of Gary, Indiana (57.24 square miles)
- Project Size: City of Gary, Indiana (57.24 square miles)
- Construction Cost: $326,935 (fee)
- Services Provided: Development of a Comprehensive Plan
Read Dunning Site Concept Plan, Chicago, Illinois
The goal of this project was to integrate the site with a new high school building and recreational facilities in a cohesive plan to benefit the community as a whole. Combining native habitat, green design technology, active recreational uses, and passive observation routes, the design depicts an engaging campus environment that welcomes neighbors and students to recreational and educational opportunities.
- Client: City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development/Public Building Commission of Chicago
- Project Address: Read Dunning site located in the Portage Park neighborhood of Chicago near the intersection of Irving Park Road and Oak Park Avenue
- Project Size: 90 acres
- Services Provided: Development of a Master Plan and Concept Plans