Bauer Latoza Studio was selected to provide architectural, planning, and historic preservation services to support the adaptive reuse of the former Mulligan School at 1855 N. Sheffield. The Mulligan School operated as a public elementary school until 2003. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Sheffield Historic District. Bauer Latoza Studio’s work converted the former school into 24 residential apartments.
The scope of work included the following:
- Site assessment and documentation for the restoration of the exterior masonry, windows, and doors
- Design of the adaptive reuse to residential apartments including apartment layouts, new finishes, a new elevator and new MEP systems
- Demolition of the one-story rear boiler-house addition to provide on-site parking
- Reuse of historic fixtures, finishes and millwork
- Converting the paved play-areas to planted green space
Bauer Latoza Studio assisted in the process of securing city Landmark status for the building. The design adhered to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties and was coordinated with the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency to achieve the Federal Rehabilitation Tax Credit.
- Client: Svigos Development
- Project Address: 1855 N. Sheffield, Chicago, Illinois
- Project Size: 25,000 sf
- Construction Cost: $3.5 million
- Services Provided: Assessment, Planning, Design Documents, Construction Documents, Historic Preservation