Chicago Public Schools retained BauerLatoza Studio to provide design and Architect of Record services for an addition to the Grant School Campus. The addition is a new 21,000-square foot competition-size gymnasium with team locker rooms. The gym accommodates a variety of recreational activities, with specialized layouts for basketball, volleyball, and badminton, with ample bleacher space for fans. The addition was conceived as a component to an 80,000-square foot West Side Community Center master plan, also designed by BauerLatoza Studio. The future Community Center will share facilities with Grant School. The architectural design of the gymnasium provides a link between the existing school building, built in the early 1900′s, and the future community center. The new addition is brick masonry matching the original school building, with a standing-seam metal roof, which will match the Community Center. Concurrently, BauerLatoza Studio completed a renovation of the original building which consisted of masonry restoration and window and roof replacement.
- Client: Chicago Public Schools
- Project Address: 145 S. Campbell Avenue, Chicago, Illinois
- Project Size: 21,000 square feet
- Construction Cost: $7.7 million
- Services Provided: Programming, Design Documents, Construction Documents, Landscape and Site Design, Construction Administration